Welcome, Sailors...                     ...and Landlubbers, too!

Ahoy! Capt'n Ricko here!

 

The S/V Second Wind has just returned (20AUG2015) from more than 600nm of cruising Catalina, the coasts of LA Harbor to Paradise Cove, Malibu & Santa Barbara Harbor down to Ventura & Channel Islands Harbor; The Channel Islands: Anacapa, Santa Cruz, & the outer islands of Santa Rosa, and even San Miguel (where we saw winds as high as 62.5 knots at anchor!

 

When you include out trips in January & February of this year - we have cruising somewhere near 1,000nm this year so far!

 

We have made so many upgrades to our 1984 Cal 35 Mk II, and now we are putting our hard work into sailing action!  OK... Capt'n Ricko has been a little deficient in updating this website, and we will in the future... However, Capt'n Ricko does keep up with events, regularly, on the "Captain Ricko And The S/V Second Wind Facebook Blog - so if you're not subscribed to that - go to:

http://www.facebook.com/CaptainRickoAndTheSvSecondWind

and give that FB page a "LIKE" to get updates as we go!

 

We've still got a lot of projects to complete... and a couple big ones - like pulling the mast and replacing all the standing rigging, rewiring the mast, and adding a lot of new "stuff' at the masthead! And then there's the new SSB radio install...

 

But, in the mean time, we have some great cruising planned, that my include significant trips - North of Point Conception, and/or South of San Diego!

 

As a note to our followers, we are delaying our BIG Departure for one year, to leave with The Baha HaHa - http://www.baja-haha.com/ -  at the end of October, 2016.  We do that reluctantly, but that will not only allow us some more time to finish some very important upgrades & installs (because when we leave - we ain't coming back!) - but, it will also allow Capt'n Ricko to live aboard & do some serious shake down cruising - along the coast of upper Baja Mexico to as far as San Franciso!  (We think its a fantastic trade-off/compromise for now.)

 

Right now, we are dockside, since August 20th, upgrading our mainsail at Doyle Sails, and upgrading our anchor, chain, & rode inventory.  We have added 2 more anchors to our inventory (Fortress X-23 for 2nd Bow Anchor & Fortess Guardian G-16 for stern hook) with 300' of Buccaneer 1/2" - 8 Strand Plaited line  http://www.bucrope.com/marine-anchorline-8-StrandRope.html  , 50' more of Peerless Acco G40 5/16" chain for 2nd Bow Anchor, and 40' of Peerless Acco G70 1/4" chain for the stern hook.  The 300' of plaited line will be used on either of those anchors, as needed, at least for now.  Our mainsail will be on a new redesigned track, and have 2 sets of reef-points, for now (we may add a 3nd later - or just plan to go to our Storm Trisail, instead).  We're doing some other things, as well, but no need to list them all here.  

 

Our plans are to take off again, by the second half of September, for a couple more months of extended cruising, at least!

 

So, check back from time to time, for new info & entries, on this website - and especially our S/V Second Wind Facebook Page - as we prepare to change our Latitudes and Attitudes, and follow our dreams...

 

 

Cheers! & Fair Winds!

 

Captain Ricko 

 

September 4. 2015

 

 

Update to above... As of Today - February 25, 2016:

 

We are "ramping up" all our modifications to get the S/V Second Wind complete & finished for our DEPARTURE DATE OF  9AM OCTOBER 24, 2016 - to leave with the Baja HaHa - http://www.baja-haha.com/

 

We pulled the S/V Second Wind out of the water at Balboa Boatyard, just last week, and painted the bottom, installed a PSS Shaft Seal -  http://www.shaftseal.com/en/categories/300000001/preview - relocated a Thru-hull fitting, dropped the Rudder to inspect & repack, removed the Cape Horn Windvane to send back to Quebec, Canada to add an Emergency Rudder setup - http://www.capehorn.com/sections/Pages/superlatives.htm -  and removed the Maxprop Feathering prop to adjust the pitch for proper RPMs. - http://pyiinc.com/index.php?section=max-prop&action=two-blade-classic&sn=1

So that's all done!

 

Right now, I am consulting with Rick McCredie of UK Sails - Newport Beach, - http://www.uksailmakers.com/lofts-americas/newport-beach/   to configure an Inner Forestay, and - other than ongoing smaller projects (like hooking up our Standard Horizon GX2150 VHF/AIS/DSC (a) by NMEA 0183 to our Garmin Network & hooking up our Raymarine X5 SmartPilot TillerPilot (b) by NMEA 2000 to our Garmin Network & Cape Horn Windvane - below deck) we are deep in preparations for our upcoming Mast Pull by Allan at Sea-Tek in Wilmington, CA - http://www.seatek.info/ - which involves a myriad of installs - from new wiring & cabling - new VHF Antenna - Airmar 150WX Weather Station (c), etc, etc.

 

Once we complete the Mast Pull, Inner Forestay. and all involved with that...  we will be 95% complete...!  All that is left after that is our SSB Radio (d) install (the Insulated Backstay Antenna will be done with Mast Pull), and a few to several smaller installs & modifications.

 

Our proposed Work/Refit Schedule is as follows: 

Sometime in March/April 2016: MAST PULL

April 2016: SSB Radio

April/May 2016: Complete all Modifications

June 19, 2016: Finish last of OCC Sailing classes (Celestial Navigation)

June 19 - 30, 2016: Leave for Channel Islands & "weather window" to sail North to San Francisco for major "Shakedown"

July/early August 2016: spend a month in San Francisco Bay & Delta area

August 2016: Return trip from San Francisco

Late August/Early September 2016: Final Modifications (after insight from shakedown) & get Documentation needed for Mexico

On or before Friday, October 14, 2016: Anchored in San Diego - READY for BAJA HAHA!

 

Cheers! & Fair Winds!

 

Capt'n Ricko

 

~~ _/) ~~

 

 

(a)  http://standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=83&encProdID=A2C2F4EB2A092075389DC4199A79B6C1&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0

(b)   http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=349

(c)   http://www.airmartechnology.com/2009/products/marine-product.asp?prodid=150

(d)  http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/marine/ssb/m802/

      http://www.docksideradio.com/Icom%20SSB%20Radios.htm

 

Proposed Cruise Schedule:
I.  CRUISING FROM NEWPORT BEACH, CA TO SOCAL CHANNEL ISLANDS, THEN TO SAN FRANCISCO - From 19Jun thru First Half July
1) Somewhere in the last half of June, tentatively, a brief cruise from Newport Beach, CA to Santa Barbara Harbor & the SoCal Channel Islands.
2) At the end of June, at an appropriate weather window, cruise North from Santa Barbara Harbor to San Francisco, with probable/possible stops at: 
    a) Cojo Anchorage
    b) San Luis Obispo Anchorage / Avila Beach
    c) Morro Bay
    d) San Simeon Anchorage
    e) Pfeiffer Anchorage (Big Sur)
    f)  Monterey Harbor
    g) Santa Cruz Harbor
    h) Pillar Point Harbor (Half Moon Bay)
II.  About a month of Cruising The San Francisco Bay Area, Including The Delta - Month of Jul - early Aug?
 
 
III.  The Downhill Return Run to the SoCal Channel Islands & Santa Barbara Harbor - Mid - Late Aug?
(It should be a quicker time frame with a downhill ride & less stops)
 
That will bring us to sometime in August, or the end of August, and I expect that we will have a checklist of things to complete to end the Refit of The S/V Second Wind...  It looks like the most probable DEPARTURE Date of The Baja HaHa And THE BEGINNING OF THE S/V SECOND WIND'S WORLD CRUISE should be: Monday, October 24, 2016 at 9:00 AM.   We plan to be in San Diego by no later than Friday of the weekend before, as the festivities begin then... 
 
IV.  The Downhill Run of the BAJA HAHA
Itinerary of the Baja HaHa:
Friday PM/Saturday AM - Oct  21/22 Crew arrives into San Diego
1) Leave San Diego Monday, Oct 24th at 9am
2) Arrive at first stop (350 nmi est): Turtle Bay on Weds/Thurs - Oct 26/27 
3) Leave Turtle Bay, Sat., Oct 29th - 8am
4) Arrive at second stop (230 nmi est): Bahia Santa Maria on Sun/Mon - Oct 30/31
5) Leave Bahia Santa Maria, Weds., Nov 2nd - 8am
6) Arrive at destination (180 nmi est): Cabo San Lucas on Thurs Nov 3rd...! & CABO BAJA HAHA PARTY!!
    ***Thursday - Cabo Party
    ***Friday - Cabo Beach Party
    ***Saturday - Awards
Sunday/Monday - Nov 6/7 Crew Flys Homefrom Cabo San Lucas
 
V.  The Downhill Run to Puerto Vallarta from Cabo or La Paz (270 nmi - Cabo or 370 nmi - La Paz)
*Plan to go Solo or if crew - they arrive 2 days before departure for Puerto Vallarta
*Will either leave from Cabo San Lucas or spend some time in La Paz, and leave from there/


currently under construction...  more to follow


Comments: 1
  • #1

    Capt'n Ricko (Sunday, 23 February 2014 14:20)

    Feel Free to Leave comments Here!
    Fair Winds!