On Wednesday, April 4, 2012, the SV Second Wind was hauled out at Basin Marine.
The SV Second Wind was put "on the hard" for the continuation of the Refitting process... Although she was overdue for a cleaning of her hull and new bottom paint... we weren't stopping there!
All thru-hull fittings were removed, to be replaced with brand new bronze fittings (whether they were necessary or not - all new for Blue - water that is!). The rudder was removed, to be thoroughly inspected, and to gain access to the prop and removal of the prop shaft - to be sent out to fit a brand new coupler for it (connects prop shaft to transmission).
And a new bronze Sonar Transducer will be installed, as well as another bronze thru-hull fitting to hook up the water cooling system of the Adler Barbour Refrigerator, as well as to allow a Salt Water Pump at the sink (allows use for washing dishes - reducing fresh water usage - you just rinse with fresh water).
Primary items to be addressed:
1. Renew the bottom anti-fouling paint
2. Replace all Thru-Hull Fittings & Transducer Thru-Hull (Sonar)
3. Pull the Rudder & inspect
4. Pull the Prop & overhaul it
5. Pull Prop Shaft & replace the couper & Cutlass Bearing
6. Renew Prop Shaft Thru-hull Packing, etc.
7. The Leak of the Port-side aluminum water tank was found.
- The port side aluminum tank was badly corroded and had developed a small hole in its underside... instead of repairing it - the decision was made to replace both port & starboard tanks (roughly 90 gal total for both) with non-corroding and better plastic water tanks from RONCO - targeting a 60 gal supply which, coupled with a Watermaker, is more than adequate, and will free up valuable storage space...
Plus many other repairs and upgrades...
Top Left to right
1. Single for Sink Drain
2. Engine Cooling Intake (Scoop reversed)
3. Depth Guage Transducer & old Speedo plug
4. Three for Head Intake, Outflow, & Sink Drain
After removal of all Thru-hull Fittings... (In same Order)
Note: old Speedo plug is prepared to fiberglass it & fill - not needed now, old Transducer is to be replaced with all new - updated Garmin Bronze Transducer for their GSD 22 Sonar...
After installing new Thru-hull Fittings...
And on the inside...
Note: Picture #2 - the engine water intake was moved for strength , and the original hole reglassed (closed)
Picture #3 shows all-new Sonar Transducer and reglassed (closed) speedo hole
Pictures: From Left to Right, Top to Bottom...
2, 3, 4. After reshaping