The Following is an orderly approach to important Refit Items that have been accomplished, and need to be accomplished, prior to our Departure Date: STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION...
Completed Refit Items:
1. Headliner & Upholstery replacement
2. Quarter Berth - remove unnecessary and restrictive panels and
reupholster walls and trim.
3. Install LED Lighting in Main Salon Headliner, Quarter Berth, Hatch
Stairs, & Galley.
4. Replace cracked plastic main salon hatch inside cover with Custom
5. Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors in main salon and forward cabin.
6. Replace Bilge Pump, and install High Water Automatic Switch for it.
7. Install Engine Hour Meter.
8. Constuct Teak Console at Chart Table for VHF Radio and Electronics.
9. Install Fusion AM/FM Stereo-DVD-Ipod system with new Polyplanar
Compact box Speakers (not priority, but can't leave without tunes!)
10. Replace inoperative Adler Barbour Refrigeration system with upgraded
(for Tropics) air & water cooled Adler Barbour SuperCold Machine.
11. Build up S/V Second Wind's Resource Library of Books (more to come!)
12. Purchase Blue Water capable Sextant.
13. Research, select, and purchase Windlass.
14. Purchase Pearless Acco 5/16 Hi Test Anchor Chain (275 ft).
15. Purchase Marine Binoculars, and various navigational tools, such as
handheld KVH Datascope (Digital Compass & Rangefinder), & handheld Skymate Windmeter (sorely missing in my November Gale encounter).
16. Research and select appropriate mounting system for Solar, Radar, and
if possible, dingy davits. I selected and purchased Atlantic Towers -
Arch - for early June '12 delivery.
17. Install new House Battery System, and Engine Battery System:
Minimum 400 to 500 Amp Hours. I researched and selected Lifeline
AGM Batteries from Coastal Batteries of Costa Mesa, CA. The system
is comprised of 4 - 6 volt - 220AH batteries, wired to provide a 440AH
12 volt system, with a Lifeline Group 24 AGM Starter battery for the
engine starter system. The windlass will be wired by #2 cables to the
18. Rewire, and Label entire 12 volt DC system, and AC system, and renew
Charging System. I hired a Marine Electrician to do this very important rewire job.
19. Haulout boat; paint bottom; replace all Thru-Hull fittings; add Thru-hull
fitting for Adler Barbour Cooling system/Salt water pump for galley;
diagnose and fix water tankage leak; replace various hoses; secure
Muffler system; pull prop & prop shaft and repack; replace coupler;
replace Cutlass Bearing, and various other items on survey.
20. Research and select appropriate Windvane for Self-Steering: I chose
the Cape Horn Windvane - to be installed in April 2013 by them.
Refit Items to Do List:
STILL ORGANIZING - MORE TO FOLLOW...